WEST VIRGINIA (Mountaineer Field)
GAME DAY: September 24, 2011
- OPPONENT: LSU
- SCORE: Tigers 47, Mountaineers 21
- CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE: 60,180/62,056
- THE TRIP: West Virginia/LSU was the biggest game in Morgantown in several years. Since we're big LSU fans, we road tripped to the game and had a great tailgate with about 20 friends and family.
- IMPRESSIONS: Fantastic atmosphere. Simple but loud and intimate stadium, full of knowledgeable fans. We will definitely revisit. They serve beer inside the stadium, a rarity.
- WE LOVED: How polite the West Virginia fans were. Before the game, people I knew who'd visited Morgantown told horror stories about rowdy and aggressive Mountaineer fans. Our experience was exactly the opposite - locals went out of their way to make us feel welcome, help us with directions, praise LSU, etc. - to the point where it was almost creepy. Like maybe when we got a pat on the back, it was just to afix a "kick me" sign. Regardless, except for a couple of drunk and belligerent college kids (which are in every stadium), we never felt uncomfortable even though we were all displaying our LSU colors throughout the day.