Tampa Bay (Raymond James Stadium)
GAME DAY: October 12, 2014
- OPPONENT: Baltimore
- SCORE: Ravens 48, Buccaneers 17
- CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE: 65,890/60,041
- THE TRIP: My son Charlie and I visited the Tampa/Gainesville area to watch this game as well as a Florida/LSU matchup the previous day.
- IMPRESSIONS: This game is proof that NFL attendance figures are bogus, with a stated attendance of 60,041 - I doubt if even 25,000 actually entered the stadium. Fan base was dead - didnt help that the Bucs were 1-5 going into the game and the Ravens scored 5 touchdowns in the first 16 minutes of the game.
- WE LOVED: Sitting in a noiseless and empty stadium where you could grab a seat in any section. The Tampa Tribune handed out a gift pack when you entered the stadium and I was able to quietly read the paper during the second quarter.
- TRAVEL TIP: Stay at the Tampa Downtown Hilton Hotel. Surprised at the high-end quality of this hotel, which is conveniently located near the interstate as you travel around the Tampa area, and adjacent to a grouping of lively and diverse downtown restaurants. The drives to Gainesville and Disney World are less than two hours.