NEW ORLEANS (Superdome)
GAME DAY: September 9, 2012
- OPPONENT: Washington Redskins
- SCORE: Redskins 40, Saints 32
- CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE: 76,468/72,180
- THE TRIP: After seeing LSU destroy Washington in Baton Rouge the previous day, my son and I drove to New Orleans for my first Saints game. Even though I lived in New Orleans 1985-1994 somehow I never attended a Saints game. The Saints are my second favorite NFL team, aside from the Redskins.
- IMPRESSIONS: Incredibly loud and enthusiastic (and mostly inebriated) crowd (until the Redskins took them out of the game). The stadium itself is massive and its size is accentuated by the Superdome's incredibly high ceiling. Despite the city's known charm and hospitality, many in the crowd were rude and belligerent, and completely oblivious about dropping F-bombs even though young children were everywhere. I had a few words with a fan sitting in front of us (who later apologized). But that sort of stuff happens when you're hammered and your team's getting whipped. I would love to spend a weekend in New Orleans in the fall to fully enjoy the frenzy that builds up through game time.
- WE LOVED: The party atmosphere, the passion the fans have for their team.
- TRAVEL TIP: Stay at the International House Hotel. Eat at Mother's Restaurant.