Florida (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium)
GAME DAY: October 11, 2014
- OPPONENT: LSU
- SCORE: Tigers 30, Gators 27
- CAPACITY/ATTENDANCE: 88,548/88,014
- THE TRIP: My son Charlie and I visited the Tampa/Gainesville area to watch this game as well as a Tampa Bay/Baltimore matchup the following day.
- IMPRESSIONS: Great fan base despite a struggling team. Seems like nobody left the stadium during a very tight game. Also a very polite fan base, everybody in our section remained good-natured despite the tense game. Seating was WAY too tight though, no leg room or room on your sides. Entertainment between plays was good old-fashioned college cheers, for the most part, as opposed to blaring hip-hop music or stadium rock. Concessions were average although relatively inexpensive. Stadium staff was very helpful.
- WE LOVED: The University of Florida campus. Absolutely beautiful. Made me want to go back to college.
- TRAVEL TIP: Stay at the Tampa Downtown Hilton Hotel. Surprised at the high-end quality of this hotel, which is conveniently located near the interstate as you travel around the Tampa area, and adjacent to a grouping of lively and diverse downtown restaurants. The drives to Gainesville and Disney World are less than two hours.